Carpets are a great addition to your home’s space and they give the feeling of warm and coziness. But when there are unpleasant odors or unsightly stains, this may damage the entire feel of your house. The carpets which are damaged with water may be tricky to deal with and when there is water on the carpet, it lifts up unseen grime and dirt to the top with sediments in water. This can actually leave the stain behind at the time of drying.
The first thing you need to do for removing water stain is to locate the source of your leak. This can be a spilled drink, contaminated water from flooding or sewage leaks which may not be very easy. If you suspect the growth of mould in your carpet, then you need to get in touch with a professional cleaner than trying to do it on your own.
How will you know when your carpet is moulding?
The mould may grow beneath the carpets soon and spread in the next 24 to 48 hours. This will give moist and warm environment for your wet carpet. This can be the reason for serious respiratory and health problems due to spores it produces. So, it is necessary to deal with it as quickly as possible.
How will you tell when you have mould?
- Detect circular patches of green, black and brown on the carpet
- Look for moist patches on your carpet in the suspected areas
- Unpleasant smell emitting from the room or carpet
- Use mould testing kit in your house from the stores
If there are mould underneath the carpets, then you need to open a window for airing out the spores. Get in touch with a professional in case you do not know how to proceed further. As per the extent of the growth of mould, your carpet should be stripped out and then replaced.
You may like: What is the cost of an average flooring project?
Is it possible to eliminate water stains on your own?
You can deal with water stains by following effective home remedies, according to the severity of the damage. Some of these include the following:
- You need to act soon and prevent water from setting, spreading and growing mould in due course.
- Try to dab area with a cloth or towel and then soak up water, do not rub the area as this may cause the water to spread
- If water damage affects a large area or occurs due to flooding, then use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from air till the stain begins to lift. Vinegar is a good option at lifting and freshening odours.
- Use a teaspoon of detergent and water to apply on the stain. Use a detergent as it may lift the color from the carpets and eliminate marks or light spots
- Take a clean cloth and press the stain gently to eliminate any vinegar or residual detergents
- Allow the carpet to dry naturally and when it is dry completely, the water stains will disappear
You may sprinkle a thin layer or baking soda on the stains before applying the mixture. This may help to eliminate the stains and leave your carpets to smell fresh. Use small amount of the mixture only and do not saturate the carpet. Do test the mixture in a certain part of the carpet to ensure it mat not lead to any marks or lasting damage.
These effective remedies for cleaning the carpet will remove the stain occurs which occur due to water damage. Your carpets will restore their color and glory again. In case the stains remain for a long time or you find them difficult to remove, get in touch with a professional for necessary advice. When the damage had occurred due to plumbing or flooding issues, then the cleaners will carry out proper inspection before rendering any valuable service for your carpets.
Thus, by hiring professional carpet cleaners, you will be able to restore them for a long time.