The health care system has made significant advances in recent decades. Nowadays, doctors can refer patients to various medical specialists. In addition, when someone experiences health problems, they may consult a general practitioner as one of several available doctors.
There are times when specific conditions require a referral to a specialist. A urologist is an example of the many specialists available. The patient should understand the significance of being referred to a urologist.
Urologists can be classified into various types. Pediatric urologists, for example, treat only urinary disorders in children.
What is urology?
Urology is the specialty concerning the treatment of diseases of the urogenital tract, and the specialist doctors are Urologists Some may, however, prefer to specialize in a specific field. Such specializations include:
- Infertility in men
- Urology for children
- Subspecialty in renal transplantation
- Women’s urology
- Oncology of the urogenital system
- Calculi subspecialty
A general urologist may be consulted if the diagnosis is unclear. According to the patient’s gender or age, a referral to a urologist may be made. For example, a woman might be referred to a women’s health specialist.
The best urologist in Mumbai may treat the following medical conditions:
- Urinary incontinence: Incontinence is when one leaks urine unintentionally. It is a condition when a person urinates against their will. It causes the body to lose or weaken its control over the urinary sphincter.
- Kidney disease: A kidney disease is a condition in which your kidneys are damaged and incapable of filtering your blood to the optimum level. People suffering from high blood pressure and diabetes are more susceptible to kidney disease. Other kidney diseases are acute kidney injury, kidney stones, kidney cysts, and cystinosis.
- Urinary Tract Infections: An infection of the urinary tract may occur in the urogenital system. These include the ureters, urethra, kidneys, and bladder. In most cases, infections affect the bladder and urethra in the lower urinary tract.
- Prostatitis: It is a condition in which there is an inflammation of the prostate gland that typically results in pain and discomfort. Pain or difficult Urination is a common symptom associated with prostatitis; other symptoms include pain in the pelvic, groin, or genital region. In addition, there are some cases of prostatitis caused by bacterial infection.
- Prostate enlargement (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia): This condition is also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). It is associated with men and characterized by an enlarged prostate that is not cancerous. A large prostate presses on the urethra and pinches it as it expands. It causes the bladder wall to thicken.
- Infertility: Generally, infertility refers to the inability to become pregnant after one year of unprotected sexual activity. However, infertility can be caused by a variety of factors and can affect both genders.
- Kidney stones: Kidney stones are rock-like deposits formed in the kidney due to the deposition of minerals and salts. Various causes of kidney stones include obesity, diet, diseases, and supplements. Depending on where the stones are located in your urinary tract, they may affect your kidneys or bladder.
Urologists are often consulted by men who have sexual dysfunction. Further, these specialists are also capable of treating certain types of cancers.
For example, they can treat cancers that manifest in the following areas:
- The adrenal glands
- The prostate gland
The treatment of female patients differs from that of male patients. A urologist may also diagnose and treat certain types of cancer in the urinary tract in women. Moreover, women can consult them for urinary tract infections and kidney stones. A woman with urinary incontinence may benefit from such a doctor.
A urologist is often recommended for children with bedwetting problems. Early treatment is also possible for conditions affecting the urinary tract. A pediatric urologist can also provide treatment to young boys with undescended testicles.
When should you consult a urologist?
Occasionally, a general practitioner can treat mild urinary issues. However, if a patient does not obtain satisfactory results following treatment, and if the patient is in or around Mumbai, the doctor may refer them to the best urologist in Mumbai. Often, general practitioners are unable to diagnose and treat specific conditions. In such a situation, physicians may refer patients to urologists as well.
The patient may also need to be referred to more than one specialist. In the case of prostate cancer, a patient may be advised to see a urologist. In addition, an oncologist may need to be consulted. The patient should also consider other symptoms. They may be advised to consult a urologist independently in such a case.
Men should be concerned if they experience any of the following symptoms:
- A decrease in libido
- Urination problems
- Leakage of urine
- An urge to urinate
- Pelvic pain or discomfort in the lower back or sides
- Abnormal growth on the testis
- Erectile dysfunction
- Poor urine flow
- Voiding dysfunction
- Hematuria (blood in the urine)
- Infections of the Urinary Tract (UTI)
When a patient is referred to the best urologist in Mumbai, it generally indicates a disorder concerning the urinary tract. They can diagnose various urinary tract issues efficiently. Patients of both sexes can seek the assistance of urologists.